New York has one. Chicago has one. San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego each have one. Even Grass Valley in the Sierra Foothills has a fringe theater festival.
But Sacramento and Reno don’t.
For decades, Grass Valley has been fertile ground for film, music and culture festivals, but the Nugget Fringe Theater Festival is the only live theater gathering of thespians.
Now in its third year, “the Nugget Fringe is short-form, indie theater unleashed,” said Scott Ewing, co-producer of the festival and artistic
director of Quest Theaterworks. “Anything goes.”
“This festival of eclectic, uncurated, creative and sometimes bizarre theater productions will make you rethink what you thought about theater,” said Ewing’s wife and co-producer, Lois Masten Ewing.
Over a period of 10 days – Jan. 19 through Jan. 29 – the festival will stage more than 110 performances of more than 30 different shows.
Performance venues are in downtown Grass Valley and include three stages at the Unitarian Universalist Community of the Mountains at 151 Union Square, Smith Vineyard Tasting Room, The Iron Door in the Holbrooke Hotel, and Off-Center Stage behind The Center for the Arts.
Shows coming to the 2017 Nugget Fringe include:
• “The Good Body” is Eve Ensler’s sequel to the “Vagina Monologues” and will be
performed by Edinburgh Fringe Festival veteran Lois Ewing with Sharon Winegar directing.
• “Tales of a Sexual Tomboy” is Joyful Raven’s one-woman comedy about a horny tomboy, equipped with bad boundaries, looking for empowerment in all the wrong places.
• “Hey, Hey, LBJ!” is David Kleinberg’s multimedia program that documents his year as an army combat corres¬pondent in Vietnam.
• “That’s Inappropriate” is
Emmeline Tober’s comedy about “millennials, New Year’s resolutions, road rage and past vs. present snootch.”
• “Sketchy Ladies” is an all-female group of comediennes, actors, writers and performers led by Kate Haight.
For ticket and more information about the festival, call 530-366-5888, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit nuggetfringe.com.